Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Sunday


[Note:  this is a really long post.  If you're a skimmer, like myself, read the underlined and/or capitalized sentences and you'll get the jist.]

There are only a few redeeming qualities about winter.  Growing up in Chicago, winters are REAL.  They aren’t your West Coast winter, or even your East Coast winter.  And I’m not saying there’s something special about the Middle West (I mean there is, but, hint:  it’s the ridiculous amount of corn.).  I’m talking CHICAGO WINTERS.  So cold you think you’re in the opposite day for hell, but it’s that way all the time, not just one day!  Anyway, the only two redeeming qualities about winter are fresh snow (not that crappy snow two weeks after the first snow.  I’m talking the night of the first snow, THAT snow) and awards season.  Now, in Kenya, I have neither.

I don’t know why I’m obsessed, but I’m obsessed with movies.  I’m pretty sure I’m a cinephile, but any word that ends in –phile just sounds creepy to me, so I prefer saying “I really like movies.”  I remember watching the Academy Awards with my Mom when I was younger.  I got to stay up later than I would have on any given Sunday and, even when I hadn’t seen a majority of the movies that were nominated, I still felt some deep connection to the films.  This will be the first time I’ve missed the Oscars in, I’d say, at least 8 years.  (I’m not going to miss it, I’m just going to wait to see it until I get back thanks to my awesome Mom for recording it for me!).

So… given that I’m missing the Oscars, and given that I’m obsessed with the awards season and good films, and given that I’m considering starting a blog about film… I’m going to give my Kenya blog readers a taste of what’s been on my mind for the past few months:  Oscar predictions.

GET YOUR SCORE CARDS OUT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!  IT’S OSCAR SUNDAY!  I’ve starred the films and actors and writers and directors that I want* to win and underlined those I think will win.

Best Picture
Zero Dark Thirty*
Les Misérables
Argo
Amour
Django Unchained
Beast of the Southern Wild
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi

Of all these films, the only one I haven’t seen is Amour.  To be honest, the trailer looked boring, but that’s not why I didn’t see it.  Anyone who saw the Best Foreign Film nominated picture The White Ribbon (2008) will know that Amour is probably a really good movie.  Haneke, the Austrian who directed both these films, made an amazing film in The White Ribbon.  I remember that Oscars moment because my Spanish teacher had mentioned that an Argentine film, The Secret in their Eyes, was nominated for an Academy Award.  Naturally, I watched it, loved it, and was happy it came away with the Oscar gold despite The White Ribbon being a favorite to win.  When I watched The White Ribbon some time later, I was pleasantly surprised, but I still liked The Secret in their Eyes better.  Now I’m not so sure.  Both films present a mystery.  One leaves you satisfied at the end.  The other doesn’t.  When I was younger, I enjoyed satisfying endings, but now closed-case, happy endings leaves me longing for more depth and complexity (see my comments on Silver Linings Playbook below).  The Secret in their Eyes still has an interesting twist to it, and suspense up the wazoo, whereas The White Ribbon has a slow burn that keeps you intrigued throughout.  Anywho, I enjoyed The White Ribbon and would’ve liked to see Amour BUT IT WASN’T PLAYING IN ANY THEATRES NEAR ME!  This is what I get for living in New Jersey…

Speaking of happy endings, WHY IS SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK SUCH A BIG DEAL?  How did it win the Independent Spirit Award for Best Feature?  The actors – both the main characters and the supporters – all work together like the X and O teammates on the films poster and deserve the acclaim they’ve been given.  But come on.  Best picture?  It’s a RomComDram with special guest star Mental Illness.  When people ask me how I feel about this film, I reply:  “It’s a good movie with a story that needs to be told.”  But so was the Hunger Games but I don’t think THAT was Best Picture (those who know me might call this statement blasphemous).  In short, I liked it, but I think this praise for the film as a whole (not for the actors) is undeserved for a script and direction that seemed par for the course of a Romantic Dramedy.  Those who have seen the film will get this next part.  One of my major peeves about this film was the cop – Bradley Coopers character Pat's parole officer – who is somehow ALWAYS AROUND.  Middle of the night, Pat breaks some glass, PAROLE OFFICER IS THERE AND READY.  Daytime, Pat's straight chillin’ with his homie Chris Tucker, PAROLE OFFICER READY TO RUIN THE FUN.  Pat and Tiffany duking it out on the sidewalk, PAROLE OFFICER DRIVES BY AND JUMPS OUT OF HIS CAR.  Does this parole officer ever sleep?  I just lost it.  I lost the narrative – meaning I was too conscious of its movieness and less on its realness, which is kind of important for a film like this to retain - too many times during this film, dissolving any chances it had of being my Best Picture pick.  So no.  If it wins Best Picture, I will be upset.  (Also, they used a Led Zeppelin song and it wasn’t even well used.  I was happy it was Zepp, but I was sad it was Zepp at the same time.  At least I got to jam out for a bit in the theatre.)

Les Mis… it ain’t gonna win.  Honestly, when I first heard about this film – the whole, singing live bit – I was like, “WOW.  Tom Hooper is going to revitalize the movie musical with this film.”  And then he just sat there.  And by that, I meant the camera just sat there on people’s faces and did nothing.  You’re talking about how you’re taking musicals to a whole new level and then you have boring, lazy camerawork while the actors are giving it their ALL.  I was offended.  Don’t get me wrong, the close up on Anne Hathaway was GOLDEN (Globe-worthy).  It worked.  But imagine if that close up had been at the end of the film instead of the beginning.  People would’ve been SO BORED of the close-up, they wouldn’t’ve cared.  Which is how they felt about every close up toward the end of the movie.  You can’t just do that.  You ruin the opportunity for your actors and you bore your audience.  Additionally, I was talking to a friend of mine about the film and he mentioned how Les Mis is supposed to be a sweeping epic.  When you shoot it tight like that, you eliminate its grandeur and undercut part of the ascetic that is Les Mis.  It’s not Best Picture.  Not even close (-up).

Zero Dark Thirty was one of my three favorite films of the year.  I know.  Now all my friends think I like torture and killing innocent people and guilty people without a trial and everything.  Or that I’m totally cool with the government buying out film companies to spread propaganda.  For one, I don’t think we can accuse Bigelow of spreading propaganda in the form of this film.  I was told that Bigelow and Boal started writing the film to showcase how torture WASN’T working in the manhunt for Bin Laden, but then when they actually did catch Bin Laden, what were they going to do, scrap the film?  Anyway, I didn’t read the film as a display of the glories of torture.  I hated when people called Zero Dark Thirty the “9/11” film.  There were three films about 9/11:  World Trade Center, Flight 93, and Fahrenheit 9/11.  To me, this was not a film about 9/11 or even about UBL.  This was a film about passion.  There’s not really a main character, but I guess it’s Maya (Jessica Chastain), even though most of the time she’s more of an observer and not an active character until the end (an observer to perhaps put us – the audience – in her role; we’re observer her, she’s observing the manhunt situation).  (I don’t want to go into details because I don’t want to spoil the movie for anyone).  Anyway, one of her friends is extremely passionate about catching Usama Bin Laden any way possible and pays for it, big time.  Maya then dives into the hunt HEAD FRACKIN’ FIRST, not caring if there’s a rock waiting to paralyze her in the water.  Well, (SPOILER ALERT BUT NOT REALLY) they catch Usama, but then what happens?  Nothing.  Maya has no one.  She has no place.  She has nothing.  This is what passion does.  It consumes us until we’re dead or we’re empty.  To me, that’s what Zero Dark Thirty is about.  I think it’s about Americans passion for a shadily defined “justice” and the emptiness that ensues when that “justice” has been repaid.  That’s why I liked this movie.  If you look at it on the surface, maybe you just see torture and killing.  But take a second look, or a first look, and think about what’s really going on.  Do I think it’ll win?  No.  Hollywood seems too upset over it to give it an award.  Do I think it should win?  It should at least be a short list, and it should at least beat Silver Linings Playbook.  Therefore, if Silver Linings Playbook wins, I will be more even upset.

Django.  Django Django Django.  To be honest, it wasn’t as good as Inglourious Basterds, although I think part of what made Inglourious Basterds epic was the casts of characters and their interlocking work like the gears of a clock.  We just didn’t see that in Django Unchained.  What we did see was great filmmaking (and a great performance by the ensemble cast, special props to Kerry Washington who hasn’t gotten much acclaim although her performance was way up there) by who I consider one of the greatest auteurs of the our time.  If I had to rank it on a Tarantino scale, I’d put it after Kill Bill, but before Deathproof (IB, RD, KB1&2, DU, DP, PF, JB).  The only thing I will say about it is that Leonardo DiCaprio deserved a Best Supporting Actor nod and I was visibly offended when he did not receive one.  That man cut his hand while engrossed in his role and he plays it as he plays every role I’ve seen him in, marvelously.  It will not win Best Picture (unless their scoring based on how many times the N-word is said), but I’m hoping it will pull off Best Original screenplay if that award doesn't go to Moonrise Kingdom (which should've been nominated for Best Picture).

Beasts of the Southern Wild was my favorite movie of the summer.  It was wonderful in its mixture of simple tone with a complex, heartwarming character arc.  I’ll talk more about it when I get to the Best Actress nominations, but as a film on the whole, it was wonderful.  The shortest film nominated this year, Beast of the Southern Wild is a movie everyone should see.  It’s only flaw is the sometimes unreal aspect of magical realism.  As a genre, magic realism is about magical things happening, but everyone in the story reacts to the magic as if it were commonplace.  For the most part this worked, but the auraks were just too weird and not easily understandable, leaving them out of the realm of ordinary.  Possible Best Picture given that it was even nominated – I was sure everyone had forgotten about it – but I think in the case of this film, the nomination was the prize.

Lincoln shouldn’t win, but it might.  Spielberg, Day-Lewis, Field, and an ensemble large enough to field a high school water polo team three strings deep is what makes this epic a favorite.  It’s a film every American should see because it exposes politics for what it is:  a couple of men (sadly, still what it seems to be today) pulling strings for what they see is the right path.  Ultimately, you vote for who you would align with best and the things they want are the things you want, but it just put things in perspective for me.  I don’t know why this shouldn’t win, but I just don’t think it’s Best Picture worthy.  It doesn’t go that extra mile.  I think it surprised me by how good it was (I had really low expectations considering I thought War Horse looked like a crappy movie; still haven’t seen it), but I still can’t see why it would earn Best Picture.  It just leaves something to be desired.  Maybe it was the lame ending.  Or the monologuey dialogue that made it feel too static.  However, I think I’m going to hop on the big company bandwagon and say this will be the winner.  Either this or Playbook, or Argo, but I’ll be so pissed if it’s Playbook.

Life of Pi was NOT boring, as previously anticipated by me (that’s just the ugliest worded sentence ever.  Sorry you have to read this crappy writing…).  It was kind of like Castaway, but instead of a seasoned actor like Tom Hanks, you’ve got a nobody (who knows how to hold his own) and instead of Wilson the Volleyball, you’ve got a Richard Parker the Psycho Tiger.  I hadn’t read the book (people we reading it in 7th grade, but since I was a slow reader, I hated reading and didn’t do it for fun so I never read it), so everything in this movie was new to me and it pulled at my heartstrings.  It was also just a beautiful film.  Ang Lee is amazing.  [SPOILER ALERT] I left the theatre thinking:  so, if he was “the Tiger” in this metaphor, why was the Tiger trying to eat him?  If you have any ideas, please let me know.  All I can say is, it won’t win, but it was thoroughly entertaining.

Argo is DEFINITELY A CONTENDER.  When I first saw it nominated, I thought no way, but after Ben Affleck took home the Golden Globes in Directing and Outstanding Picture and then racked up another Argo win at the BAFTAs, I began to reconsider.  I think it could definitely take home top prize, but it shouldn't.  It was suspenseful, but too sensational and it left me thinking:  "That was fun," while no other thoughts really came into my head.  I like a movie that MAKES ME THINK!  While it wasn’t the Best Picture of the year, I certainly think it has more merit than some of the other films on this list (*cough cough* Silver Linings Playbook).

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis
Bradley Cooper*
Hugh Jackman
Denzel Washington

No contest.  It’s Day-Lewis.  The Best Actor category this year was amazing dull, not for lack of amazing performances, but for lack of competition.  When someone plays the “Best” (or at least most noteworthy) President America has ever had, and when that man is NOT AMERICAN, you give him the Oscar.  Although, of all the nominations Silver Linings Playbook received, Cooper’s is the one I feel is most deserved.  About half way through the movie, I stopped and thought, wait, does Bradley Cooper have bipolar disorder?  That’s how real it felt to me.

Best Actress
Quvenzhané Wallis*
Jennifer Lawrence
Naomi Watts
Jessica Chastain
Emmanuelle Riva

Everyone in this category has been nominated before except for the youngest nominee in the history of the Academy Awards ever (not counting the special Youth Academy Awards from back in the day) and the almost oldest nominee in this category (if Emmanuelle Riva wins she’ll surpass Jessica Tandy for oldest winner).  This is competition city.  The only person I know won’t win is Naomi Watts.  Sadly, I didn’t see her performance either (when I got to the theatre, all set to watch it, the show was sold out), but given the buzz surrounding the others, it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE for Watts to pull off a win (see what I did there?).  Everyone else is a contender.  Okay, Q. Wallis probably isn’t a contender either because she’s so young and the Academy is agist, but in my eyes SHE DESERVES TO WIN THIS AWARD.  OUT OF THE REMAINING THREE NOMINEES, WALLIS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CARRIED HER FILM TO THE WONDERFUL, GLORIOUS MOOD POEM THAT IT IS.  THE OTHER NOMINEES RELIED ON OTHER ACTORS TO ELEVATE THEM BUT ALL HUSHPUPPY HAD WAS THE BAYOU.  GIVE THIS BABY THE OSCAR ALREADY!  Okay, I’m glad I got that out.  Since I haven’t seen Riva, it’s totally possible the same goes for her.  I’ll have to make retroactive judgment on this one if Riva takes the Oscar home.  And she could!  But I also don’t think she will.  Her win at the BAFTAs was only slightly surprising, but possibly indicative of how Europeans believe she delivered a stellar performance and won’t win the Academy Awards (because she’s European.  The Academy is also xenophobic sometimes.  See the Best Director category for more instances of biased selectivity.). 

So that leaves Chastain and Lawrence.  And honestly, their past work and accomplishments puts them on equal footing.  Sure, Chastain is older, but both have a previous nomination, and both spent several years in the indie circuit before breaking into more mainstream cinema.  Both took home Golden Globes (Chastain in Drama, Lawrence in Comedy) for their roles.  You could say Lawrence has a leg up because she won the SAG, but the SAG is usually not the best litmus test for the Oscar.  I feel like Lawrence is riding a bigger buzz wave right now, so if I had to bet, I’d put money on her.  That, and the fact that Zero Dark Thirty still has a shadow over it.  Again, if Silver Linings Playbook takes the win in this category I will be upset because Q. WALLIS DESERVES THIS OSCAR!

As an aside, as soon as I saw the nominees in this category, I thought of the following conversation that – in a world in which I played god – would certainly happen at the Oscars nominee brunch.

Begin.
Q. Wallis:  Hi Jennifer.
J. Lawrence (unsure of the pronounciation):  Hi Qhuvanz…
Q. W.:  I just wanted to say, I really loved your performance of Katniss in The Hunger Games.  It was my favorite movie of 2012!
J. L.:  Thank you.
Beat.  J. L. looks around, trying to spot someone else to go talk to.
Q. W.:  But I just want you to know, I’m going to win the Oscar.
J. L. (taken aback):  I’m sorry, what?
Wallis flashes her Hushpuppy smile at Lawrence.
Q. W.:  I’m going to win.  People like Hushpuppy better than they like a self-proclaimed slut.
J. L. (under her breathe):  What the f*ck?
Beat.  J-Law gathers herself and pounces back.
J. L.:  You said you liked The Hunger Games, right?
Q. W.:  Yeah.
J. L.:  Well, you know, you remind me a lot of Rue.
Q. W. takes a hard swallow.
J. L.:  And you know what happened to Rue, right?  Don’t f*ck with me Wallis.
End.

So actually, I hope this would never happen because these two actresses both seem like the nicest people.  But I just thought it was funny that Wallis reminded me somewhat of Rue and Lawrence was Katniss in The Hunger Games (ONLY 9 MORE MONTHS ‘TIL CATCHING FIRE!)

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin
Robert De Niro*
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Tommy Lee Jones
Christoph Waltz

Honestly, I have no idea.  But if I were to guess, I’d say Waltz or De Niro.  Waltz is coming off a Golden Globe win and an Academy Award for basically the same character three years ago from Inglourious Basterds.  To be honest, I didn’t see the Hoffman’s performance in The Master, but the late summer indie, much like Beasts, seems to be happy just to be nominated.  Tommy Lee Jones took the SAG in this category, but again, that’s not saying much.  He definitely deserves props for wearing that wig though, because he looked damn ugly during that whole film.  Alan Arkin could come away with it, but I think his presence in Argo was not as strong as the presence of the other nominees in their respective films.  At the end of the day (you probably can’t believe I’m saying this), I want De Niro to win.  Honestly, Leondardo DiCaprio should win, but between Waltz and De Niro, how could I give it to Waltz.  He’s THE SAME CHARACTER that he won for last time, plus a little more empathy.  De Niro pieces together the main characters and the ensemble cast.  He’s a major link in this film and he plays is well.  I don’t know if he’ll win, but he should.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams
Sally Field
Anne Hathaway*
Helen Hunt
Jacki Weaver

If Anne Hathaway doesn’t win this, I’ll be shocked and appalled.  Firstly, put aside an irrational hatred you have for the woman and consider her body of work.  It’s fabulous.  Yes, there are shortcomings here and there, but really, she’s a gem.  Was this role her best role ever?  No.  (And no it wasn’t Mia Thermopolis in The Princess Diaries either.  I’d say Rachel Getting Married, which was a fabulous film.).  This year, she was in two blockbuster movies where her supporting performances stood out as the highlights of the film (I’m talking Cat Woman in The Dark Knight Rises and Fantine in Les Misérables).  I just don’t think anyone else will win.  I don’t know if anyone should – having only seen Sally Field’s and Jacki Weaver’s performances, I can tell you, they shouldn’t beat out Hathaway – but perhaps Helen Hunt (fresh off an Independent Spirit Award for The Sessions) could produce a scare, but I doubt it.  Nate Silver would predict this as a 90% chance of a Hathaway take away.  We’ll see, but I would be really surprised if it didn’t happen.

Best Original Screenplay
Amour
Django Unchained
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom*
Zero Dark Thirty

This is probably my favorite category every year.  I’m kind of trying to write screenplays, and one of my dreams is winning an Academy Award.  I would get up there and say, “EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE PLANET MADE THIS HAPPEN” even though that’s kind of a lie, but kind of not, then I’d babble and say I wasn’t going to swear but then I’d accidentally drop the f-bomb and I’d keep babbling and the music would play me off, but I wouldn’t leave.  And then security would come and try to kick me off, but I still wouldn’t leave, and then they’d literally bulldozer me off stage.  And then I’d be super famous for being that weirdo at the Academy Awards.  And I’d also have an Oscar.

Okay, enough with the day dreams.  What script will win?  What script should win?  My money’s on Amour.  Like I said earlier, Haneke’s hitting more of a mainstream audience with this film in comparison to The White Ribbon.  More people are taking notice and more people are liking it.  I don’t think it’ll win much else, but here’s a way the Academy can award it at least something.  That being said, I want Moonrise Kingdom to win.  I know what you’re thinking:  “Erisa, you’re a die-hard Tarantino fan.  What is this?”  I know, it shocks me to say this, but Django Unchained lacked the deeper personal element I felt while watching Inglourious Basterds.  I just didn’t think it was his best (which is Basterds) nor his most innovative (which is probably Pulp Fiction for which he won his first and only Academy Award).  But, he’s coming off a Golden Globes win where he triumphed over the epically mediocre script that was Silver Linings Playbook (more hatred below), although neither Moonrise Kingdom nor Amour where in the category.  Thus, Tarantino’s win means little in the Oscar race.  But I just think Haneke’s emotionally moving piece (or so I’ve been told) will triumph over a Western homage.  So why do I want Moonrise?  I think Wes Anderson is a wonderful auteur, albeit polarizing.  I don’t think his camera work is innovative, but I do think his stories are interesting.  Until I saw Moonrise Kingdom, my only concern was that his films didn’t go deep enough.  It felt like we were always skimming the surface with hilarious characters in the foreground and little else in the background.  I left his movies feeling entertained, but not really moved in anyway, nor thinking about anything (other than that was a funny movie).  But this film about juvenile angst really hit home and the lead actors (although being basically nobodies) made it all feel real.  So much realer than The Royal Tennenbaums or The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou or Bottle Rocket.  So yes, I liked this film.  And yes, I thought the script was moving.  He’ll never win Best Director, or Best Picture, but Anderson deserves this.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Silver Linings Playbook
Lincoln
Beasts of the Southern Wild*
Argo
Life of Pi

I have no idea who'll win, but all I know is I want Silver Linings Playbook to LOSE.  For the past several thousand words, I’ve been really sh*tting on this film.  In reality, it was good, it was decent, and I liked it.  But it doesn’t deserve praise because the script is boring, predictable, and doesn’t give me anything.  How it won an Independent Film Spirit Award for its script is beyond me.  I’ve lost all respect for the Independent Film Spirit Awards (seriously, the Weinstein’s produced this.  How is that independent?).  I left the theatre thinking:  “Okay, well that was a pretty OK movie.”  I could’ve left one hour in and predicted the ending.  I HATE THOSE KINDS OF MOVIES.  What’s the point?  The point was, the actors were good.  The script was not.  I know it’s adapted from a book, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that it’s NOT GOOD.  If I adapted Go Dogs Do, even though that’s an awesome book, it doesn’t mean it should win an Academy Award because it WOULD BE A LAME MOVIE.  THE END.

I think Silver Linings Playbook will win, but that just upsets me.  So I’m going to pretend it’s not even nominated and tell you Argo will probably win.  How do you make a movie, in which you know that at the end, everyone gets out alive, but you’re still SUPER NERVOUS THAT EVERYONE’S GOING TO DIE?  Somehow Terrio did that with his script for Argo.  At times it felt too sensational, but you’ve got to give it props for balancing the tone of comedy and drama pretty appropriately.  Lincoln shouldn’t win because it’s less of a script and more of a series of monologues.  Life of Pi won’t win.  It just won’t.  I just feel it in my bones.  I like Beasts of the Southern Wild and want that to win.  Of all these nominees, it just feels right.  It feels like the best story and the best execution of that story.  Not too sensational, a valiant effort at cinematic magical realism (which by the way, is really hard in film.).  I want it to win, but like many wants, I don’t think it’ll happen.

Best Director
Michael Haneke
Ang Lee
David O. Russell
Steven Spielberg
Benh Zeitlin
Kathryn Bigelow*


Welcome to the sausage fest that is the Best Director category.  Did you know only four women have ever been nominated:  Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, and Kathryn Bigelow.  Did you know there have been more than four women directors in the history of American cinema?  Why weren’t these women nominated maybe?

Okay, so, Kathryn Bigelow director one of the best movies of the year that was one of the best movies of the year because she directed it (seriously, the raid scene is so wonderful in its realism, not going for the typical flash-bang of Hollywood).  So I want her to win (kind of like how I want Leo to win Best Supporting Actor).  But since that's impossible because the Academy sucks, I actually don’t care who wins, but I would guess Spielberg or Haneke.  David O. Russell’s coming off an Independent Spirit Award (hold on, let me go vomit), but I think it’s between these two old timers.  Ang Lee, maybe?  Benh Zeitlin, long shot; nominated just to be recognized.  The difficulty in forecasting these results is that none of these guys has won any of the important lead ups (like Golden Globes or BAFTAs) because Ben Affleck has.  But since he’s snubbed from a nomination because he cast himself in a movie when the guy he’s supposed to be playing is Hispanic, that leaves the Oscars wide open for any man.  Well, we’ll see.  But honestly, I don’t even care…

Other Stuff

Adele should win for the song “Skyfall.”  I mean, when was the last time an original song was also a hit on the airwaves?

I want Roger Deakins (veteran of most Coen Brothers and Sam Mendes films) to win for Best Cinematography for his work on Skyfall, but I fear the beautiful Life of Pi might steal it away.  Also, Robert Richardson, who won last year for Hugo (hold on, got to go vomit again) is also nominated for his work with Django Unchained, so perhaps that’ll win.  I don’t know.  I saw all these films and they were all beautiful, but Skyfall really stood out as the shadow imagery implemented subtly and elemental to the theme of the film.  Therefore, I’m pulling for Deakins, especially given he’s never gotten a win.

I don’t really care about the other categories.

Anywho, THAT’S ALL FOLKS!  Leave comments with your picks to win.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment