Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Real Ol P.


I realize from my last post, it would be difficult to discern what I actually did at Ol Pejata.  You probably just think Ol Pejata is a hut with bats, bees, and ants flying and crawling about.  Well, that was our sleeping hut, but that was far from the actually Ol P. experience.

As a nature reserve, Ol P. is geared towards tourism.  Tours come in and out of the game reserve everyday and some people choose to stay inside the reserve at one of the many luxurious accommodation options (read: not the research camp).  Because it’s a tourism cash cow (it also herds cattle, but that’s off to the side) they go to great lengths to make their animals come out of the bush.  Expansive plains sweep across the landscape, punctuated by gullies with natural (and man-made) water holes in the form of dams and marshes.  It was truly gorgeous stuff.  In the background of every image was Mt. Kenya, the second tallest mountain in Africa (1st = Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania).  Our first day there, we saw a plethora of animals:  gazelles, zebras, warthogs, waterbuck, dik-diks, impala, giraffe, rhino.  On our second day there, my van (six students in each van for a total of two vans) saw a lion chilling in the shade by own of the dams.  We named her Big Mama Cat because she was most likely an old female excommunicated from her pride because she was old.  Sadly, she tried to hunt, but failed; we saw her take a poor angle on two warthogs drinking by the water and they scurried away before she could even get top speed.  It was kind of like The Lion King, which we also watched recently.  Anyway, after Big Mama Cat, we also saw another group of super lazy lions chilling in the shade by the marsh.  It was funny because animals do warning calls to alert other animals when they see lions.  So this baboon was doing a warning call as the lions just lay there in the shade, not giving a frack.  Finally, the baboon just left and again, the lions didn’t care.  Did you know lions can sleep up to 20 hours a day?  Talk about lazy. (Did you know giraffes need a minimum of 10 minutes of sleep a day?  Talk about not lazy)  Also, they often just steal food from hyenas or leopards or cheetahs.  I mean, talk about double lazy.  Anyway, it was truly amazing.  I wasn’t in the car that saw a pride of lions crossing the street, but I think seeing Big Mama Cat stalk and chase prey was pretty cool too.  I even got a video.

So, what we were actually doing at Ol Pejata was a project on foraging/vigilance behaviour (I know, sound exhilarating, right?).  We drove around in our cars, stopped at gazelle and zebra herds, and calculated how long individuals were foraging or vigilant and what proportion of the herd was doing which activity at any given time.  Not going to lie, it was pretty boring.  The fun part was driving around looking for animals.

At the research centre, there was only one dining table and the actual researchers who worked there took it up.  So we sat in lawn chairs around a fire every night and ate our dinner.  The food was decent, but not as good as Mpala.  Also, they used cilantro in, like, every meal and I FRACKIN’ HATE CILANTRO.  It’s just not an appealing flavor to me.

I was sad to leave Ol Pejata only because I was sad we hadn’t yet seen a lion or cheetah take down a gazelle.  That is my one dream in life.

The same afternoon we can back to Mpala, we had our final exam.  Dustin “claims” Princeton made him give a final exam, but I think that’s B.S. because the Panama kids don’t do final exams.  They just play around with epiphytes.  But we were able to stronghold him down to three short essay questions, pick and answer two.  I answered one that stated:  “what is a savanna?”  It was funny because the night before as we were studying, Devika said, “what if one of the questions is ‘what is a savanna’ and I said, ‘that wouldn’t happen.’”  It did, Erisa.  Luckily, the question also came with, “describe the three natural processes that maintain the savanna ecosystem,” so I didn’t have to B.S. for a whole page about the definition of a savanna.  The other question I answered was about the female spotted hyena anatomy I alluded to in a previous post.  In the end, the exam took three hours, and it was the only exam I’d ever taken in my life where I seriously considered taking a nap.  I was exhausted.  Everyday I’m exhausted here.  Luckily, I finished the exam with just enough time to spare and then headed into lab report mode.  That’s right, I still had two lab reports to complete before dinner of the following day.  Why?  Why?  WHY?!?  Well, I basically finished my independent project lab report (about acacia larvae) and my group members for the foraging/vigilance experiment agreed to go over the last bits of that lab report tomorrow afternoon, so I was free to enjoy our farewell party to Dustin.  Although we now live up at the research centre, we all drove down to the campsite and made a fire around the fire pit and danced and listened to music and roasted marshmallows and sang songs (included a parody of “Party in the U.S.A.” entitled “Party in the M.R.C.”).  It was great, but sad because it meant Dustin was leaving and he’s SUCH A COOL GUY.  Also, he’s a Columbia professor, so it’s not like I’m going to see him around campus.  Oh well.  Devika has already said she’s going to go hang out with him in NYC, so maybe I’ll tag along.

Peas out,
E

P.S.  In other news, I finished The Great Gatsby.  Overall, it was a good read, but the ending seems a little too rushed.  Maybe that was the effect it was meant to have, but I thought for all the detail and development of earlier, for the ending to just come and go so quickly.  Maybe that was the point.  If so, okay Fitzgerald.  Let’s see how Baz handles it.  Now I’m reading The Fatal Strain – non-fiction about the coming H5N1 bird flu epidemic.  Pretty enthralling.




No comments:

Post a Comment